Moist and flavorful, these cake-like bars are topped with fluffy cream cheese frosting.
Is it too early for pumpkin? I say no. I love pumpkin season and all that it brings, especially here in New England. It’s the season where you can’t help but notice all of the brilliant colored leaves and the woodsy scent of the crisp air. It is the season for plaid flannel, chunky sweaters, and watching football on the weekends. Yes, pumpkin season is almost here.
Of all of the pumpkin foods out there, one of my family’s favorites are these perfect pumpkin bars. Moist and flavorful cake with fluffy cream cheese frosting, these bars are a taste of autumn.
These pumpkin bars are easy to make and are a tasty treat. This recipe is a slightly adapted version of Paula Deen’s recipe.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Here is what you will need for the bars:
Before you begin making the bars, set out the cream cheese and butter so they are at room temperature when you are ready to make the frosting.
With an electric mixer, combine 4 eggs (or 1 cup egg beaters), 1 2/3 cup sugar, 1/2 cup oil, 1/2 cup applesauce, and a can of pumpkin. Mix well.
In a separate bowl, combine 2 cups flour, 2 teaspoons baking powder, 2 teaspoons cinnamon, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1 teaspoon baking soda.
Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients to make cake batter.
Pour into a greased 9 by 13 inch rectangular dish.
Bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees.
While that’s baking, enjoy the mouthwatering aroma that begins to fill your home.
Now, let’s make the frosting. Here are the ingredients you need:
Combine one block of softened cream cheese, 1 stick of softened butter, 2 cups of confectioner’s sugar, and 1 teaspoon of vanilla. I like to use vanilla bean paste, but vanilla extract is just fine too!
Wait until the cake is completely cool before frosting. Try to be patient…it’s so worth it!
Now, as pumpkin season approaches, gives these flavorful, cake-like bars a try!
- 4 eggs or 1 cup egg substitute
- 1⅔ cups sugar
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup applesauce
- 1 can pumpkin
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 block cream cheese
- ½ cup butter
- 2 cups confectioner's sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- With an electric mixer, combine eggs, sugar, oil, applesauce, and pumpkin.
- In a separate bowl, combine dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, and baking soda.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and combine.
- Pour into a greased 9 by 13 inch rectangular baking dish.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes
- To make the frosting, combine softened cream cheese, softened butter, confectioner's sugar, and vanilla.
- Mix with an electric mixer until fluffy.
- When cake is cooled, frost and cut into bars.