If you love the look of mercury glass, try making this easy and inexpensive DIY Faux Mercury Glass! Today I am sharing a simple tutorial for creating these DIY Faux Mercury Glass votive holders.
This post contains affiliate links. If you click on an affiliate link and purchase something, I may receive a small commission, at NO additional cost to you.
- spray bottle
- spray paint (I used Rust-Oleum Imagine Metallic Spray Paint in Silver and Gold)
- painter’s tape (I used Frog Tape)
- glass jar (I recycled empty Oui yogurt jars for this project.)
- Mix equal parts of water and vinegar in a spray bottle
- Wrap the exterior of a glass jar with painter’s tape.
- In a well-ventilated area, lightly spray the interior of the glass jar with the silver spray paint.
- Immediately after you spray the interior with paint, lightly midst with the water and vinegar combination. You will see that the paint bubbles up and creates an interesting effect to mimic Mercury Glass.
- Now, lightly spray the interior of the glass with the gold spray paint. This different color with add some depth and interest.
- Again, lightly midst the interior with the water and vinegar combination right away.
- As hard as it is to wait, let it dry for a couple of hours. Trust me, it is worth the wait.
- Wipe the inside of the jar with a dry paper towel and peel off the paint’s tape.
Add a tealight and watch it glow.
So pretty next to my dry brushed painted flower pots.
Maybe I will have to try adding one next to my DIY topiary too!
Where would you like to add a little sparkle to your home?
I have joined in with some blogger friends as part of a Facebook group called Craft and Chat Live. This group is organized by the very creative and generous Chloe from Celebrate and Decorate. Last week I took a leap of faith and did my first Facebook Live. During the live recording, I had shared this easy and inexpensive DIY Faux Mercury Glass Votive Holder. I am excited to share a new idea today at 4 p.m. EST. I would love it if you joined me on Facebook!
At Home With Jemma
Hearth and Vine
My Hubbard Home
My Thrift Store Addiction
Home is Where the Boat Is
The Painted Apron
Chas’ Crazy Creations
Harbour Breeze Home
My Family Thyme
Sustain My Craft Habit
Birdz of a Feather
Decorate and More with Tip
Our Crafty Mom
White Arrows Home
Create With Cynthia
Calypso in the Country
B4 and Afters
Purple Hues and Me
Bluesky at Home
Faeries & Fauna Craft Co.
Elle Marie Home