Add the brilliant colors of spring to your door or wall with this DIY Spring tulip wreath. Follow this simple step by step tutorial to make your own Spring tulip wreath.
Spring is here! After the long gray winter, I am ready the brilliant colors of Spring! Let’s celebrate the start of this new season by making a beautiful Spring tulip wreath!
Nothing says welcome like a beautiful wreath! In just 20 minutes, you can make a beautiful, vibrant tulip wreath to bring a touch of spring to your home.
I made my wreath with a combination of purple and fuchsia tulips , but you can customize your own with your favorite color.
DIY Tulip Wreath Supplies
To make this Spring tulip wreath, you need just a few simple supplies.
- 10 tulip bushes (I purchased the purple and fuchsia tulip bushes from Michaels.)
- 12 inch green styrofoam wreath form
- floral pins
- wire cutters
- ribbon of choice
How do you make a Spring Tulip Wreath?
1. Begin by trimming the tulip stems to about 4 to 5 inches long.
2. Gather and arrange your tulip stems in groups of two and three. You want to arrange your stems so that they are varying heights…like a small bouquet.
3. Place your group of three in the middle of the top of the wreath and secure with a floral pin.
Tip: I found it was best to squeeze the sides of the floral pin together a bit, and insert the floral pin into the styrofoam wreath at an angle. This helped to secure the stems and kept the floral pin from poking through the back of the wreath.
4. Then, gather two stems and place them on the outside of the wreath and two more stems on the inside of the wreath.
5. Work your way around the wreath, layering the small clusters of tulip stems on top of each other, to create a full wreath. Be sure to place all of the tulip stems in the same direction. Continue this process until the styrofoam wreath is completely covered.
6. Spend a few minutes adjusting the tulip stems to be sure that they are evenly distributed and your wreath is full and balanced.
7. Finally, wrap and ribbon around the top of the wreath and tie a bow to use to hang your wreath.
Where can I hang my wreath?
Hang your tulip wreath wherever you want a pop of Spring color. You may choose an exterior door, an interior door, or a wall. I chose to hang mine on an interior door in my kitchen.
Do I need to cover the wreath with ribbon first?
Since I was making a wreath using a darker colored faux tulip, I chose to use a green styrofoam wreath. If you are making a lighter colored wreath, you may choose to use a white styrofoam wreath or wrap your wreath in a matching colored ribbon.
By gathering and layering the tulips, I found that the green color of the wreath did not show through.
How much does it cost to make a Spring Tulip Wreath?
This is a very affordable wreath to make. It cost less than $25 to make. I waited until the tulip bushes were on sale. I purchased mine at Michaels and paid $1.99 each. I used 10 for this project. Using a 40% coupon, the wreath form cost less than $4. I already had the wire cutters and floral pins on hand.
I hope you give this pretty DIY Spring tulip wreath a try! Please let me know in the comments below if you give this project a try. If you post it, please tag me. I would love to see your beautiful creations!