Packed with ham, cheese, and a flavorful egg mixture, this egg strata is an easy and delicious make-ahead breakfast casserole.
This post may contain affiliate links. As always, all opinions are my own.
Happy Saturday! Are you ready for the weekend? After holidays, professional development days, and a handful of snow days, we finally had a five-day week of school. While it was good to get back to a routine, I am so ready for the weekend.
The weekend is a time when life slows down a little. It is a time when my family can sit, enjoy breakfast together, and linger at the table for a bit.
This egg strata is a family favorite weekend recipe. Packed with ham, cheese, and a flavorful egg mixture, this casserole is breakfast goodness. Inspired by Rita’s Egg Strata, I have been making this recipe for many years. I have tweaked the recipe along the way to lighten it up, while keeping all of the flavor. It has become a favorite of my family and friends. You can load it up with a variety of meats and veggies, or just keep it simple. Give it a try and make it your own.
Put it together the night before, and then just pop it into the oven in the morning. So easy and so delicious!
Begin with a small French baguette. Slice the bread and lightly butter it. Place the sliced, buttered bread in the bottom of a prepared baking dish. Cover with diced ham and 1/2 cup of Cheddar-Jack shredded cheese. Add any remaining bread. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup of cheese.
In a mixing bowl, combine a 16 ounce container of Egg Beaters, 2 cups of fat-free milk, and 2 cups of half and half. To that mixture, add 1 teaspoon brown sugar, 1/4 teaspoon paprika, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper, 1/2 teaspoon onion powder, 1 teaspoon mustard powder, and 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce.
Add the egg mixture to the baking dish, covering the bread and ham. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup of cheese. Refrigerate overnight.
In the morning, preheat oven to 325. Bake the strata for one hour at 325 degrees. This is such a flavorful, filling dish, perfect served with some fresh fruit. Enjoy!
I hope you get to enjoy some time with family and friends this weekend…and maybe linger at the breakfast table a bit.
If you like this post, pin it for later:
- 1 French baguette
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 ham steak, diced
- 1 cup of Cheddar-Jack cheese, shredded
- 1 16 ounce container of egg beaters or 8 eggs
- 2 cups fat-free milk
- 2 cups half and half
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Begin with a French baguette. Slice and butter with 1 Tbsp of butter. Place in the bottom of a prepared baking dish. Cover with diced ham and ½ cup of Cheddar-Jack shredded cheese. Add any remaining bread. Sprinkle with ¼ cup of cheese.
- In a mixing bowl, combine egg beaters or eggs, 2 cups of fat-free milk, and 2 cups of half and half. To that mixture, add 1 teaspoon brown sugar, ¼ teaspoon paprika, 1½ teaspoons salt, ½ teaspoon black pepper, ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper, ½ teaspoon onion powder, 1 teaspoon mustard powder, and 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce.
- Add the egg mixture to the baking dish, covering the bread and ham. Sprinkle with remaining ¼ cup of cheese. Refrigerate overnight.
- In the morning, preheat oven to 325. Bake the strata for one hour. Enjoy!