Do you realize that Christmas is less than 6 weeks away?! These next few weeks are going to be filled with all kinds of holiday preparation…baking, shopping, and decorating. While I am not ready to completely deck the halls just yet, I am beginning to prepare.
One of my favorite decorations and gifts to give are Paperwhite bulbs. They are so festive, classic, and easy to grow. Placed in a jelly jar or a simple mason jar, decorated with some ribbon and a little holiday pick, pretty Paperwhites make the perfect present.
I have been making these for several years, and I am always asked when they should be started in order to be ready for the holidays.
This is just about the right time…
They usually take about 4-6 weeks to bloom and can easily grow without soil.
You can use stones, craft store beads, or beach glass. I prefer to use pea gravel. At only $3-$4 per bag, it is very economical, yet decorative. I love its natural beauty.
With all of the additional expenses that the holidays bring, this project is beautiful, without breaking the bank.
For this project, you will need:
- Paperwhite Narcissus bulbs (I picked up a package of 15 at Home Depot for about $12.)
- jars (At our local grocery store, I purchased a package of 12 jars for $12.)
- stones, beads, or beach glass (I have had my bag of pea gravel for a couple of years. It costs about $3-$4.)
- ribbon (50% off at Hobby Lobby)
- glue gun and glue
- decorative picks (50% off at Michaels)
The directions are fairly simple:
- Fill the jar 2/3 of the way with your stones, beads, or beach glass
- Fill the jar with water up to the edge of your stones
- Place bulb, face up
- Add ribbon to edge of jar.
- Glue decorative pick, if desired.
Try making a beach-themed jar made with seaglass…
Or, one with more traditional Christmas colors.
For a little over $2 each, the Paperwhite jars add a touch of festive, natural beauty. I hope you give this simple seasonal project a try!’