Have you finished your holiday baking?
Sadly, I did not do very much baking this year…not as much as I intended, which might be better for my waistline.
I had really good intentions, but just ran out of time.
Anyway, back to baking.
One cookie that is a must during the holiday season is shortbread.
Now, this isn’t just any shortbread…this light, buttery cookie comes together in a few minutes, with just five ingredients. This is my grandmother’s recipe. When I bake this, it brings me back to cozy winter days in her kitchen, playing UNO, while enjoying shortbread with a cup of tea. I hope you enjoy this treat as much as my family and I do!
Begin by setting butter out to soften to room temperature. Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Sift together 1/2 cup confectioner sugar, 1/2 tsp. cornstarch, and 2 cups of flour. Combine mixture with butter.
Now, the fun part…mix the dough by hand. Your children might like to help you with this part. Oh…how my children loved to help when they were young. And…since there is no raw egg, I wouldn’t worry if some of the dough made its way into their mouths, as it inevitably did!
Prepare your baking sheet with parchment paper.
Now you have some choice.
You can shape your dough into circles, about 1/4 -1/2 inch thick. My daughter likes to create a fun, decorative edge with a fork. Then sprinkle with a little granulated sugar.
Or, you can place the dough in a parchment paper lined jellyroll pan, again so it is about 1/4 – 1/2 inch thick. Sprinkle with granulated sugar.
Now, bake in a slow oven at 300 degrees, for about a half hour, until light brown.
Get your tea ready.
Enjoy plain, or you can drizzle with semi-sweet chocolate and decorate for the holidays.
Enjoy! Best wishes to you and your family for a very Merry Christmas!
- ½ lb butter (2 sticks) softened to room temperature
- ½ teaspoon corn starch
- ½ cup of confectioner's sugar
- 2 cups flour
- granulated sugar for sprinkling on top
- Begin by setting out the butter to soften to room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Sift together cornstarch, confectioner's sugar, and flour.
- Mix by hand with butter.
- Shape into circles or press into a jelly roll pan so dough is about ¼ to ½ inch thick.
- Sprinkle with granulated sugar.
- Bake at 300 degrees, for about 30 minutes, until golden brown.