A kitchen makeover in just 6 weeks? As part of the One Room Challenge, I’m sharing my plan for a budget-friendly contemporary coastal kitchen makeover!
Welcome to the first day of the Fall One Room Challenge! I am so excited to be a guest participant in this amazing event hosted by Linda from Calling It Home and Better Homes and Gardens. Twice a year bloggers and interior designers are challenged to choose a room to transform. The challenge is that the room needs to be completed in just 6 weeks. Every Wednesday and Thursday for the next six weeks, the internet will be full of design inspiration and creativity. If you are like me and love a good before and after, you will definitely want to check it out.
My project this year is a little unique. This little cape-style home on the Connecticut shoreline has been the setting of my family’s story since my grandparents built in 1952. When they were no longer with us, the house became my mom’s. This home is full of wonderful memories. When I think of this place, I can’t help but smile.
Recently, I had to sell it. You see, my mom has Alzheimer’s Disease. With the level of care that my mom requires, this house provided the resources that are needed to help my mom live a comfortable life. As difficult as it was for me, there is a silver lining to this story. My life-long friend, Lisa, a friend who is truly more like family, purchased the house. She has asked for my help in updating and decorating the home. Together, we are adding a more contemporary, coastal style and incorporating her love of travel, while honoring the home’s past.
The kitchen is the hub of a home. So for this One Room Challenge, we are taking on the kitchen. With high ceilings and lots of natural light, this eat-in kitchen has so much potential.
Here is the space:
- Paint the walls using Benjamin Moore’s Stonington Gray
- Update the flooring with Lifeproof’s Luxury Vinyl Flooring in Sterling Oak
- Paint the upper cabinets with Benjamin Moore’s White Dove. This will help keep the space feeling light and bright.
- Paint the bottom cabinets with Benjamin Moore’s Stunning. This blue will add a pop of color and contrast to the space.
- Update the counter tops
- Update the lighting and hardware
- Add a backsplash to the space
- Incorporate Lisa’s love of travel into accessories/artwork
- Keep something from my grandparents/mother to honor its past
If you want to save this post for later, you can pin it here!
I can’t wait to get started. Be sure to check in next week to see my progress. Do you have a room that you have been wanting to tackle? Do you need a little motivation to get started too? If so, feel free to join in! Visit One Room Challenge for more details.