This post contains affiliate links. As always, all opinions are my own.
Welcome back to Day 2 of the 12 Days of Christmas Blog Hop! Today we are sharing recipes and crafts related to our favorite holiday movies.
Welcome to the third annual 12 Days of Christmas Blog Hop!
Stop by every day from December first through the twelfth for new ideas you can use to make your season brighter!
Meet Your Hosts
They have all been busy as Elves creating, decorating, cooking and crafting tons of new ideas for you to try this holiday season!
Do you have a favorite holiday movie? There are so many classics that I look forward to every year…It’s a Wonderful Life, Miracle on 34th Street, and A Christmas Carol. However, one of my very favorites is a more modern movie that premiered in theaters just 29 years ago. It’s a comedy that makes me chuckle year after year. It’s National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation.
In some ways, I think we can all relate to the main character, Clark Griswold. Like Clark, I too dream of the perfect fun old-fashioned family Christmas with the beautiful tree, a delicious meal, and the reciting of T’was the Night Before Christmas. Thankfully, my family Christmases have been less eventful than Clark’s; yet, his happenings keep us laughing.
In one of the scene’s Clark and his cousin-in-law drink eggnog, while having a conversation and enjoying Clark’s festive home. I got to thinking about how much my family, especially my son, Chris, enjoys eggnog during the holiday season.
I usually purchase eggnog for him in the grocery store. However, with all of the preservatives in the store-bought versions, I decided to make my own this year. After searching through recipes, I found the most Amazingly Good Eggnog. This recipe was originally shared on Allrecipes by Nataliesmom. This recipe deserves its name. It certainly is amazingly good! This is now my go-to recipe for eggnog. Once you try it, you will never buy store-bought eggnog again!
You can make a full recipe if you are planning to serve it for the holidays. I sometimes will make just half of the recipe for my family of four.
Slowly whisk the hot milk mixture into the egg mixture. Then pour the entire mixture into the pan and cook over a medium heat for three minutes, stirring constantly. The mixture should thicken. You could use a double boiler, if you have one.
This is when your kitchen begins to smell like Christmas. The aroma of the cinnamon and cloves will fill the air.
Once cool, add rum, if desired, along with 4 cups of light cream, 2 teaspoons vanilla, and 1/2 teaspoon of ground nutmeg. Refrigerate overnight.
This eggnog is delicious…so smooth and creamy!
So, the next time you are planning a holiday movie night at home, consider sipping on this amazingly good eggnog, while laughing along with Clark Griswold in National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation.
Wishing you a wonderful weekend ahead!
- 8 cups of whole milk
- 5 whole cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 12 egg yolks
- 1 1/2 cups of sugar
- 2 cups of rum (optional)
- 4 cups light cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- In a saucepan, combine milk, 5 whole cloves, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla, and 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon.
- Heat this mixture on a low setting to slowly bring it to a boil.
- Meanwhile, in a large mixing bowl, combine 12 egg yolks with 1 1/2 cups of sugar.
- I whisk the egg yolks first and then add the sugar.
- Continue whisking until this mixture is fluffy.
- Slowly whisk the hot milk mixture into the egg mixture.
- Then pour the entire mixture into the pan and cook over a medium heat for three minutes, stirring constantly. The mixture should thicken. You could use a double boiler, if you have one.
- Pour this mixture into a bowl, straining out the cloves. Let it cool for an hour.
- Once cool, add rum, if desired, along with 4 cups of light cream, 2 teaspoons vanilla, and 1/2 teaspoon of ground nutmeg.
- Refrigerate overnight.
If you would like to save this post for later, you can pin it here:
Be sure to visit our fellow 12 Days of Christmas Bloggers below for even more creative ideas this holiday season!