Welcome October! Here in Connecticut, it definitely feels like a switch has been flipped, and fall weather has arrived! With fall’s arrival, it is time to add some autumn decorating touches to my home. It doesn’t require a big overhaul, a large amount of money…or lugging Rubbermaid bins full of decorations, as I have done in the past. This year, I followed these five simple ideas to decorate for autumn.
- Add texture and warmth with thick blankets. Home is a place of comfort, and nothing says comfort quite like an inviting knitted blanket on a chilly night. Instead of keeping those blankets hidden away in closets, bring them out and drape them over a bench or a chair to create an inviting space.
- Use fresh flowers throughout your home. At this time of year, sunflowers, mums, and greenery are plentiful. You can pick them up in the grocery store or at your local farm stand to bring in seasonal color and texture, as well as a fragrant scent. I like to pick greenery right out of my yard. Dried summer flowers bring in soft hues that say, “Autumn”.
- Bring the outdoors in by using natural elements in your decor. I love to use a variety of colored pumpkins, apples, seasonal corn, and gourds to bring additional hues and textures. These baby pumpkins bring in such fun pops of festive color!
- Add pillows of varied textures and seasonal colors to create a cozy and inviting space. You don’t need to spend a great deal of money. These pillow forms are from Walmart and the pillow covers are from the talented Lucy at Craftberry Bush. Pillow covers are great because they can be easily washed and changed out. I would love to curl up here with a book and a hot cup of tea.
- Create vignettes using fall scents, autumn picks, pinecones, and festive accent pieces. Click here for this free fall printable.Have you decorated your home for autumn yet? What are some of your ideas for adding autumn decor to your home? Please comment. I would love to hear your thoughts!